Big, soft, homemade Cinnamon Rolls have the best cream cheese icing and they always disappear fast! They are incredible warm from the oven with some of the glaze melting between each sweet bun.
– Prep Time: 35 minutes
– Cook Time: 23 minutes
– Rising Time: 1 hour
– Total Time: 1 hour 58 minutes
Ingredients for Cinnamon Rolls:
• 1 cup warm milk (110-115˚F), not hot
• 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (rapid rise)
• 1 large egg room temp
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted, divided
• 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 3 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 to 4 Tbsp (and more to dust)
For the Cinnamon Roll Filling:
• 6 Tbsp unsalted butter softened, plus more to for grease pan
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
For the Cream Cheese Icing:
• 4 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
• 4 oz cream cheese softened
• 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
• 1 cup powdered sugar
– First, in a large mixing bowl (or using a stand mixer), add 1 cup warm milk (110-115˚F) and sprinkle with 1 packet instant yeast.
– Next, whisk in 1 egg, 4 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp melted butter and 1/2 tsp salt.
– After that, add 3 cups flour and stir in with a firm spatula or wooden spoon.
– Add more flour 1 Tbsp at a time just until dough is no longer sticking to fingertips or the walls of the bowl. It should still feel slightly sticky but won’t stick to clean/dry fingertips.
– Then, knead dough by hand for 3 minutes.
– Next, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm 100˚F oven for 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
– Generously dust a clean work surface with flour and turn the dough out onto the floured surface.
– Sprinkle dough lightly with flour and roll into even 17″x10″ rectangle, squaring off the sides.
– Dot the surface of dough with 6 Tbsp softened butter and spread it out evenly all the way to the edges.
– In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp cinnamon and sprinkle ALL OF IT evenly over buttered dough.
– Roll the dough up starting with one of the longer sides and work in a typewriter motion, keeping a tight roll.
– Once it’s rolled up, push ends in slightly to make them a little more uniform then slice into 12 equal-sized rolls.
– Butter sides and bottom of a 9×13 baking pan with 1 Tbsp butter and arrange cinnamon rolls, evenly spaced with the cut-side down.
– Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm 100˚F oven 20-30 minutes, until puffed. Do not proof too long.
– Brush tops with 1 Tbsp melted butter and bake at 350˚F for 22-24 mins or until tops are lightly golden.
– Let cool in pan 15 minutes then frost warm buns generously with the cream cheese glaze (instructions below).
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Icing:
– In a medium bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream together 4 Tbsp softened butter and 4 oz cream cheese.
– Beat in 1/2 Tbsp vanilla then add 1 cup powdered sugar and continue mixing on high speed until fluffy (3-4 min), scraping down the bowl as needed.
After the cinnamon rolls have been cooling for about 15 minutes, that’s the time for you to put on the frosting.
And cinnamon rolls ready to serve!!!!